5.26.2010

Bye-bye Junior!

The third time was the charm...after rescheduling it 3 times, we finally bade farewell to Tanzen's third thumb on May 7th.
He started the morning with a special treat-- Pedialite jello! He was pretty surprised and kept looking at me, wondering why I was feeding him something with dye and sugar instead of the usual oatmeal-flaxseed-pepita-sesame gruel we normally eat.

Thumb and Thumb Jr

Tanny loved getting wagon rides with Daddy. Heather was sweet to babysit Makett, and it felt a little strange being one-on-one with Tanzen.

I am a baby. I have no idea how parents do it whose kids have serious problems. They gave him "giggle juice" which was supposed to calm him down enough so he wouldn't care when they took him away, however, by the time they came to take him it had worn off. I asked to go with him until he was under, and they said we'd see...the nurse peeled him away from me and I could hear him screaming "mama" all the way down the hall. I was a bit of a basket case! It felt SO good to see him after!
Tanny loved his cast!
When we took it off he was really scared of the incision. He immediately brought me the sock we'd used to protect the cast and wanted me to put it on. When he woke up the next morning the first thing he did was get a sock out of the laundry basket to put on his hand. It took a few days for him to get used to not having it covered.

Brandon drew incisions on all of our hands to make Tanny feel better about his


3 weeks later and it's looking great! Just a little therapy and we'll be done!

5 comments:

Tonee said...

Wow, what an ordeal. I am a basket case when I tell Geddy "no" and he gets that sad pouty look on his face, so I can't imagine my child screaming mama back at me all the way down the hall. It looks great. I had no idea he had two thumbs!

Freebairn Family said...

Oh - that is the saddest thing I've ever seen! I have a great aunt who was born with two thumbs and I never really believed the story - so heart-breaking to see on such a little guy. He looks like he did very well with a tough situation!

Amanda K said...

What a great idea of Brandon's to give everyone an incision. Too sweet. You've got a good guy there :)

Tanji, Jimmy Jay and Baby Taislyn! said...

oh sad...poor kid! I have a hard time having Taislyn getting her shots...although I remember just holding Jay down as a baby when he had to get his IV at 3 months old and I sobbed right along with him. It's hard as a mom...they just don't understand. The incision looks really good! I didn't know you had it done yet, I bet it's a relief to have it done now!

Jody said...

I had no idea, but I totally feel your pain. Billy and Cameron both at surgeries at Primary Children's in the end of 2009. I kept looking around thinking how lucky to only have minor health issues.

So glad all is well. The boys are adorable. I also think it was very sweet for everyone to have incisions.