3.21.2009

Music...

A recent, not incredibly scientific study, compared various artist's/music genres and correlated them to SAT scores. The chart takes a look at those results. Let's hear it for my favorite two artists-- Sufjan Stevens and Bob Dylan--whose music appeared to give participants higher scores. I'm also very pleased with the Shins and the Grateful Dead, who knows where I would be today without their inspiration while I studied, maybe that's how I got through med school...actually I know I got through med school through fasting and prayer. If I have to study then it's nice to have some good music to break up the silence and open up the brain. Music has been a constant companion and the play list on the side of our blog is something I take very seriously. We have Eddie Vedder-takes me back to 9th grade; the Grateful Dead and Bob Marley-such good friends in high school and they’re still by my side. Beck was there in my early days of Weber State as I studied on the grass. Sufjan Stevens-a wonderful find in Arizona; Of Montreal-accompanied me on all my crazy bike rides in the Arizona desert; Tribe Called Quest-climbing in Utah; Death cab for Cutie-doing Yoga while stuck living by the hospital; Radiohead-soothed my mind while trying to sleep at the hospital on call; Mason Jennings-brotherly love and friendship; Beirut-horn resounding Philadelphia experience. Each band has a particular memory that has etched its way into my memory with some good experience. I'm sure we all have our own, a song and a memory to go with it.

No comments: