3.14.2009

The end of fingernail torture!



I DREADED cutting fingernails! Such tiny little fingers, tiny little nails...a most difficult task! I was determined to find the safest fingernail cutters, a pair that would ensure I never snipped my little darlings' fingers. I ended up purchasing the little pair from the Red Cross. It advertised as being baby safe...with a special finger guard, as well as a hold for extra control. To my horror, the first time I used them I clipped more than just finger nail. I felt so awful! Then I decided task avoidance would be best, and went for onesies that covered their hands. Obviously that plan couldn't last forever. My mom saved the day--who knew that gigantic adult toenail clippers were so effective?! I'm proud to say we regularly trim our nails now...and haven't had a mishap since! So there you have my best mom advice so far....impressive, eh?

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Chaci- You can also buy fingernail clippers that look more like scissors. I've used those on my kids as newborns and never had a problem. They have rounded ends and the scissors themselves are slightly curved. I think it would be impossible to cut the skin, but don't hold me to that!

Katie said...

I might have to try that...cutting fingernails and toenails is a huge fight in my house. Thanks for the tip!