11.30.2008

Makett's Hospital Adventure...

On Thanksgiving we started noticing that Makett was breathing with a loud stridor --sounding very high pitched and squeaky when he breathed in.  We watched it for a day, then decided on Saturday night to take him to CHOP--Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, where we remained into Sunday morning.  It was pretty traumatic having to hold him down for x-rays and a nasal scope...I must admit, I was bawling!  Turns out he has Laryngomalacia along with GERD, which means that his larynx is floppy because the cartilage hasn't hardened, so he has a narrower breathing passage which is why he breathes so loudly.  There's nothing they can do about the Laryngomalacia, he'll just have to grow and get tougher cartilage.  Obviously we can do something about the reflux, so we're working on that and are praying his larynx will get stronger quickly! 

7 comments:

Katie said...

Poor little guy! I hope he gets doing better quickly!

Chelsea said...

that is so sad I hope he gets better fast! don't worry I would have been crying also.

Jody said...

Sorry for the traumatic hospital adventure. I'm glad he's okay. Isn't it amazing how instantly after becoming parents we want to protect our kids. It's so difficult to watch them struggle, and I totally understand you getting emotional.

Good Luck!

Meier Family said...

I hope everything is ok with your lil Makett! How scary- I would have been freaking out! You are a great mom though and are probably handling it like a pro! Let's do lunch soon! Take care and hope you have a great time with your mom!:)

Tanji, Jimmy Jay and Baby Taislyn! said...

oh, I'm sorry, Chac! I know how hard it is to hold them down for all of those dang tests! That was the exact same week that we had Jay in the hospital, last year, for 3 days...the week of thanksgiving! Maybe that week is cursed! I don't think anyone will ever know how hard it is for a mom to go through that with their children! I'm glad he'll be okay though! We'll keep him in our prayers!

Shelby said...

Is he doing any better?

C C & R said...

I hope he's doing better! They are both so cute!