9.20.2009

A letter to my boys

To my sweet, most precious Tanzen and Makett,

Thank you for blessing my life with your happy spirits. There is nothing I would rather do than be with you each day, helping you grow and learn, in continual awe at your very existence. Thanks for the giggles, cuddles, playfulness, kisses and tears. You push me each day to become better so that you may have the wonderful mother you deserve.

Now, my little darlings, there are a few things I'm rather confounded about, and I'd really appreciate your enlightenment.
Mr. Maketty, you have a pluethora of toys designed by experts to stimulate your brain and quicken your developmental learning. Why is it you prefer to push the table around and bang on the clock? Don't you need the fancy toys we got for you?
My dearest Tanners, are you sure you prefer the citrus juicer over your other toys? Could it possibly be more entertaining than the farmhouse with its lights and music? I mean, think about how much more Ben Franklin could have accomplished if he had an Exersaucer!

Ketty, Ketty, Ketty...I bought the extra soft, cucumber melon scented baby wipes in order for you to have a pleasant diaper changing experience. Somehow I missed the part about why you like to pull them into tiny pieces, then eat them? I tried one, they really don't taste like cucumber and melons. And why won't you eat real cucumbers?
Tanny man! I put great effort into making you baby food that is fresh, organic and full of a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Why is it you prefer dog food? Seriously, I don't think my cooking skills leave that much to be desired!
Maketty, how is it that in the thirty seconds I was pulling the dog food out of Tanzen's mouth you managed to crawl from the living room to the back of the house to dine on dog food as well? How in the world are you that fast?


And, my dear sons, while I have your attention, a few other things I've been meaning to ask...

  • How is it that you decide who will be the long and short napper? I mean, I love you to infinity and back, but I probably would be ok if you decided to nap simultaneously for a blessed ninety minutes...even just once a week. I wouldn't feel the slightest bit unloved. That being said, I suppose it is nice to never lack company!
  • Where does this warp speed come from? I couldn't have been in the bathroom for more than 45 seconds...how did you manage to unzip the luggage, pull out the bottle of acid controller, get the child proof cap off, sample it, then crawl into the other room leaving the pills all over the floor? Impressive my loves, thank you for not overdosing! Jane at Poison Control is also grateful.

  • Where does the energy come from? How do you feel about sleeping in till 6:00? Tanzen my dearest, 5:00 is early! That being said, I expect you to keep this habit through your teenagehood.
My boys, how have you grown so quickly? Where did all this independence come from? And how do you learn to do all you do? You were so dependent and helpless...how did you figure out how to laugh, sit up, crawl and communicate?

Lastly, my tiny ones, how is it possible that we love you so much? You've been in our lives for such little time, yet I cannot imagine living without you. How did I get so lucky as to be blessed to have you as my sons? I am undeserving, but ever grateful.

I love you.

Love,

Mommy

13 comments:

Tonee said...

What a cute post Chaci! Very touching and sweet! The love a mother feels for her children is amazing and so much greater than I ever expected. I would want nothing different than being with my little one every day too! They are so fun to just watch and explore and they learn things so dang fast! Sorry about the napping situation. I am spoiled in that Geddy takes 2 naps a day - 2 hours each! That's my boy...loves the sleep.

Camille said...

the juicer is awesome. My son's toy of choice is the turkey baster. I used to get after him, then I realized that I have never once basted a turkey, nor do I intend to... so have at it! They are so adorable!

Katie said...

Isn't it just completely mind boggling to watch them grow up!? And it seems to just get exponentially more and more baffling as time goes on. It's so great though! I can't believe your boys are quickly approaching the one year mark! They're cute as ever!

Kenzi said...

CUTE!!! I'm impressed Chac! I can't believe how much they are growing! I'm SO happy I will be seeing them in a few months! Love you all!!

Tanji, Jimmy Jay and Baby Taislyn! said...

That is soo dang cute Chac! They are adorable! Isn't it sad at how fast they grow up. It still kills me that Jay would have always rather played with the box the toys came in, than the toys themselves. His favorite was an old Whipped cream container and the turkey baster. He STILL plays with the turkey baster and it has recently made it's way into the bathtub...that works :) They are adorable!

Brooke said...

Haha, I LOVED this post!

Nancy said...

Hi Chaci, Kimberly told me about your blog - it is fun! And oh so familiar to me...we have 20 month old twin girls and I CHUCKLED at your letter list today. I get it, girl. I get it!! I too write a blog to process all of it.
Blessings to you on this adventure. Nancy

Chaci said...

Apparently we really need to get a turkey baster!

Amber said...

Chaci- It was so good to talk to you today. Thanks for the vitamin tips and for just catching up with me. Your boys are soo cute and getting so stinking big. Even though I don't have twins, all those things are all so familar. You seem to have things under control even though at times it feels like you don't. You're an amazing mother. Take care and talk to you soon...

The Katich Family said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! What a great Mommy you are, and you aren't doing such a bad job either Brandon.

Britt said...

Oh! Chaci! I certainly understand your confusion with the boys' lighting speed and need to play with everything that IS NOT a baby toy. I love the posts about the boys. I seriously laugh out loud a lot b/c your boys and our youngest, Coy, are only a few days apart in age. He is crazy busy and into everything! I can't imagine double the chaos and I suppose that is why I laugh so much! Thanks for the awesome updates! It's so fun to keep tabs on you guys! Hope resident life is treating you well!

Kimberly Sutherland said...

I TRULY think that is on of THE most beautiful things I have ever read. I about bawled. You are amazing,they are amazing and I am so privileged to know you. I can't wait to get there to you guys!!!
Love, Kisses and Hugs...
Kimberly

Marilee said...

Wow! Already one! Such a sweet mommy and daddy you are. It just gives me the chills.