2.26.2011

She's here!

Ryme
2.22.2011
12:49 am
6 lbs, 8 oz
18 3/4 inches
vbac!
The story...
(it's poorly written as I'm just trying to get it down, feel free to skip it!)

We were really hoping to have her over the weekend. When it was Monday and I was still pregnant we were getting worried! My mom was here to help, just needed the baby! I'd had pretty intense contractions Sunday night and was sure I was in labor but they tapered off. Brandon went to work on Monday and said he'd be coming home at noon to take me to the hospital...at ten I told him not to plan on it, since I was barely having contractions at all. My mom and I took the boys to the Please Touch museum, hoping chasing them would get something going, but to no avail. Brandon was determined I would go into labor and came home at 11:30 to drive us to the hospital.

We went for a hike --seriously, a 90 minute hike in the mud in the Wissahickon-- which was enough to bring contractions every 10-15 minutes, but nothing like they'd been before. We ended up calling anyway and went in, although we almost changed our mind since they were clearly nothing like the labor contractions I'd been having the night before. We got to the hospital at 5:00 and I was at a 3. Since I'd had a c-section with Makett they wouldn't induce (it increases the risk for needing a c-section). The Dr told us we were welcome to stay for a few hours to see if anything progressed. An hour later I told Brandon we should go home since it didn't seem like I was in labor, but he said we might as well wait to get checked one more time so we did. To our great surprise, when she came back I was dilated to a 6 so we were admitted around 7:00.

At around 10:30 I was only to a 7, so they broke my water. When they checked in an hour I hadn't dilated further, so they decided to put me on the smallest amount of pitocin they could. After a few minutes on pitocin my contractions stopped and the baby's heart rate dropped. Suddenly there were five doctors in the room and I was concerned! They said if things didn't change in a few minutes they would need to do a c-section, which I was terribly wanting to avoid. They unhooked the pit and we tried different positions and her heart rate went up and the contractions returned! She was facing up so they tried to turn her and managed to get her facing sideways. I only pushed for about ten minutes and she was out!

Here's the best part...we had the sweetest nurse on the planet. I had told her that I still feel bad that I didn't get to hold Tanzen and Makett until 14 hours after they were born, and asked that I could have Ryme as soon as she came out. They gave her to me right away and cut the cord while I was holding her, then everyone left Brandon, Ryme and I alone in the delivery room. It was so peaceful-- it was snowing outside, the room was dim and quiet, Ryme was alert and started nursing, and it was just us. They let us stay as long as we wanted, so it was two hours until they took her away to get measured and bathed and we moved rooms. Wonderful!

The birth part was pretty much perfect! A nice change after Tanzen and Makett's birth!

The next morning I started getting an excruciating headache and figured it was from straining my neck when I was pushing. Two days of flexerol, motrin and percocet did nothing to phase it. Thursday night I was afraid something serious was happening- that I had a tumor explode in my head or I was having a brain aneurysm...I was pretty scared. We ended up back in the hospital and found out I was leaking spinal fluid from the epidural-- who knew a little spinal fluid could cause such pain?! They did a blood patch (took lots of blood from my arm and put it in where the epidural was) and the relief was immediate! Thank heavens! Just a few residual back problems but my head is better, and I can't even describe how wonderful that is!

Anyway, we're all doing great now! There will certainly be lots of adjusting and I'm nervous to figure out how to juggle Tanzen, Makett, Ryme, and house stuff once my mom leaves, but we'll manage. For now I'm just focusing on how nice it is to have this cute little baby here!


16 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congratulations you guys!! We love following your family on your blog.

Katie M. said...

Oh I am so happy for you!! She's perfect!! Chaci- it seems so surreal to me that you have a 3rd baby!! And a daughter too- and I think it's strange for me to grasp because I haven't seen you since June. I have missed your ENTIRE pregnancy. Very odd. But I am thrilled for you and I just wish I could help you out, i.e. dinner, take the boys, etc. Shucks!

Loves and kisses to guys. LOVE HER name too- good pick, good pick- it's contemporary, fun, and different. Really like it.

She's beautiful! Congrats!!

Ann said...

Way to go on the VBAC, Chaci. I'm so stoked now to have my own little girl in another couple of months. Yours is perfect. On to a smooth recovery now that they've fixed your headache.

Tonee said...

That second to last pic of her is PURELY adorable. They all are cute, but that shows her face really well. I was thinking you still had a couple months to go, so what a surprise when I clicked on your bog (I guess pregnancy goes a lot faster when it's not your own :) I hope they boys will be helpful for you, but you are going to have a lot on your hands with 2- 2 yr olds and a newborn. But you are a amazing so you'll figure it out. Glad everything went well, and that's so weird about the spinal fluid leak! Glad it was an easy fix though!

Katie said...

Yay! Congratulations!!! She's adorable! Good luck adjusting to being a mom of 3!

Joel and Sara said...

Congrats Chaci and Brandon! Jaeda had those PJS as a newborn:)

Shelby said...

Congratulations! She is a cutie.

Britt said...

Congrats! She is ever so lovely and the pics with her big brothers are priceless. Sorry about your spinal headache. I guess it really does happen. You'll adjust to three with no problem especially after starting your momhood with a double dose of cuteness. Congrats again to you and Brandon and those cute big brothers!

~Love Lis said...

CONGRATS!!! How fun! :)

C C & R said...

Congratulations! Love her name!

Anonymous said...

She is adorable! Congradulations.

Pam said...

She is absolutely beautiful! Congradulations, hope you are doing well!

TIFFANY MARTIN said...

congratulations! She is so beautiful! I'm jealous, I still have a few weeks left! I am glad everything went well.

Jody said...

Chaci! I'm so happy for you. She's a doll! I'm glad you had a good experience with the delivery and after, except for the headache that is! I'm sure you'll have no trouble transitioning to 3. I like the name and would someday like to know how you chose it.(Just having heard the story behind the boys' names.) I immediately thought of your maiden name when I saw it. I'm so glad your mom is there to help. Best wishes! You have an adorable family!

Bennett Family said...

Congratulations Fishers! She is beautiful and so blessed to be born into your loving family!!

Anonymous said...

love some of her nkd with her legs spread like that, newbornpussy is hot